It has been scientifically proven that aerobic training (or cardio training ) is most effective for burning fat and shaping a bump in men and women. In the long term , high physical activity is more likely to contribute to weight maintenance than diet. Aerobic training strengthens the cardiovascular system , increases endurance and the performance of the body, improve the mental state. Aerobic training accelerates recovery from mental stress and increases resistance to stress. This aerobic training program is universal in nature, using it, you can create an individual training program that suits you best.
The study showed that interval cardio workouts (3 times a week, 20 minutes each, excluding a 10-minute warm-up) can reduce weight by about 1.5 kg in 3 months of training. According to the results of the study by M. Heydari, fat loss was 2 kg, while there was a slight increase in muscle mass (+ 0.5 kg of muscle). Strength training gives the worst results. It is worth noting that these trials were conducted on volunteers who did not change their diet and daily routine . Read more: Exercise and Boost Your Metabolism .
Thus, training contributes only 15-20% to building a figure, 50% is diet , 25% is sports nutrition and pharmacology . A quality result can be obtained much faster if you use an integrated approach.
How can I improve my aerobic training results?
- Be careful with the choice and planning of training, avoid overtraining .
- Eat an adequate diet
- Take appropriate sports nutrition
- Use pharmacological support
- Read also: why I can’t lose weight
Aerobic Training Rules for Weight Loss
- When starting to exercise, increase the load gradually so that the body can adapt to physical activity.
- Train at least 3 times a week. The more often you train, the more results you will achieve. Train optimally every day.
- The best time for aerobic exercise is in the morning (before breakfast) . In the morning hours, metabolism is accelerated under the influence of activating hormones – catecholamines , glucocorticoids and testosterone . Scientists have shown that aerobic workout of the same duration and intensity in the morning will require 20% more energy expenditure than in the evening. Thus, in the morning you will burn 20% more fat than in the evening. In addition, it is better to exercise at the same time of day, since the circadian rhythms are adjusted to the mode of physical activity.
- The minimum duration of aerobic workout is 30 minutes, the optimal duration is 1 hour. The longer you exercise, the more fat is burned.
- Do not eat anything 1 hour before aerobic exercise and 1 hour after exercise. If you eat food before training, you will burn the energy of the food, while fat will not be included in the expenditure. After training, there is a large amount of free fats in the blood, if you do not eat, then these fats will be destroyed during metabolic processes into water and energy, if you eat, then all free fats will return to adipose tissue.
- Intensity plays an important role in the effectiveness of aerobic training. The intensity of aerobic training correlates with the heart rate, so the intensity level of the training can be clearly determined from the heart rate. It has been proven that for weight loss, the heart rate should not be lower than 120 beats per minute. You can determine the optimal heart rate range using our expert system – Calculation of the optimal heart rate . Remember that a heart rate above 140 beats per minute is acceptable only after 3 weeks of training, which is required for the adaptation of the cardiovascular system.
- Follow an interval training regimen for maximum results . Start your workout at a slow pace to prepare your body for the challenge. Then continue with the waveform intensity: decrease and increase the intensity every 10 minutes. Finish your workout at a slower pace.
- For weight loss, predominantly aerobic training should be performed, since strength training burns significantly fewer calories. This has been confirmed by a number of studies. Moreover, it has been proven that strength training is not capable of “boosting the metabolism.”
The best types of exercise for weight loss
- Cardio workouts – adapted programs for burning fat.
- Brisk walking is the best type of aerobic exercise, it allows you to maximize your metabolism and the process of burning fat. It is the most natural activity. Walking is recommended for people with diseases of the joints of the lower extremities and the spine, it is less traumatic. Walking does not overload the cardiovascular system. When losing weight, walking should be fast – at least 120 steps per minute; at a slower pace, the process of losing weight is much slower. The most effective is interval walking with a variable pace: fast-slow-fast …, as well as walking in terrain with variable terrain with descents and ascents.
- Running is an alternative to walking. Running, like walking, does not require special exercise equipment and, in general, a gym. However, along with this, it increases the load on the joints and the spine. In addition, unlike walking, it requires a special form, shoes and prepared terrain.
- Swimming – can be combined with other types of load, as well as separately. Swimming strengthens the muscular corset of the back, corrects posture, is good for the spine, it creates a load not only on the legs, but also on the shoulder girdle. Swimming is the most harmonious type of physical activity, however, it is a conditioned aerobic exercise.
- Active games – football, basketball, volleyball and so on.
- Cycling, rollerblades – they make workout more fun, but they burn much less calories if you arrange simple walks on the sidewalks. Long intensive runs are required.
- Strength training is also necessary in alternation with aerobic (for both men and women), since it allows you to maintain muscle mass and make the figure more prominent (toned).
Optimal alternation: every week 1-2 strength training in the gym and 2-4 aerobic training throughout the entire weight loss cycle. Most experts agree that it is undesirable to combine cardio (if this is not a 10-minute warm-up) and power load in one session. Read the separate article: Strength and Cardio.